Snow Day Activities
- Visit Snow Crystals and look at the photo galleries. These are all actual snowflakes that have been magnified. Aren’t they beautiful?
- What do you notice? Write a bank of words to describe these crystals. Try to use interesting adjectives and WOW words.
- Join some of your words together to make sentences and word pairs. Make a poem using these – remember how to set out a poem and try to use alliteration and some rhyme.
- Notice that the number six appears in each crystal. Look carefully at the images – can you find any examples of that number? Make your own snow crystal design. You can also use a computer to help with this. Try starting with a hexagon in the middle of your design.
- Use the number 6 to make up some calculations- What is special about the number 36. What happens to 6 when you multiply it by 10? 100? 1000? How about dividing it by 10? Can you explain what happens?
- How many words can you find inside the word SNOWFLAKE? E.g. lake, won, on, no.
Other non-themed activities:
- Learn spellings
- Reading: School book and a book from home- read aloud and with expression
- Times tables: 2,3,4,5 & 10 should be secure. If so have a go at 20,30,40 & 50 times tables
- Project work. Find out all about a different country – maybe somewhere warm? Present your information into a non -fiction booklet using all the features you have learned (subheadings, bullet points and pictures with captions).
Maths websites to visit with fun free games: